Resource: Cardiovascular System Lab
Complete the Cardiovascular System Lab located on the student website.
Complete the open-book quiz about the cardiovascular system and associated diseases. The quiz will be provided by your instructor.
Cardiovascular System Lab – Week Six
The cardiovascular system consists of blood, blood vessels, and the heart. As you learn about the various diseases that affect the cardiovascular system, it is important for you to understand the structures that can be affected by disease. Complete this lab to become familiar with a healthy system and to identify diseases related to this system.
PART ONE: basic functions
Provide brief answers to the following questions to help you get acquainted with the basic functions of a healthy cardiovascular system. Refer to Ch. 23 in Microbiology: Principles and Explorations.
1. What are the main functions of the cardiovascular system?
2. Which types of bacteria are considered normal cardiovascular system microflora?
3. Which structure of the cardiovascular system is particularly susceptible to bacterial infection?
PART two: basic structures
Refer to Ch. 23 in Microbiology: Principles and Explorations to help you identify the selected cardiovascular system structures in the following diagram.
Visit Chapter 23 of Microbiology: Principles and Explorations in WileyPlusto view an in-depth presentation of a healthy cardiovascular system by completing the following steps:
· Select the Chapter 23 WileyPlus reading link located on your student Web page.
· Locate the heading Chapter Review.
· Select the Anatomy Overview: The Cardiovascular System link.
· Complete this lab as you explore the Cardiovascular System multimedia piece.
Cardiovascular System: The Heart
Roll over each component of the Cardiovascular System multimedia piece. Roll over and click the heart. Refer to the Heartcomponent of the multimedia piece and Ch. 23 in Microbiology: Principles and Explorations to label the structures in the following diagrams of a healthy cardiovascular system.
PART three: investigate and apply
Select one of the following diseases related to the cardiovascular system, discussed in Ch. 23 of Microbiology: Principles and Explorations:
· Rheumatic fever
· Bacterial endocarditis
Describe the causal agent of the selected disease, mode of transmission, disease characteristics, and the component(s) of the cardiovascular system that are damaged by the disease.
[Type your response below]
©2008 University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.
SCI250 Week 6 Chapter 23 Cardiovascular System Quiz –Please underline, highlight and select the most appropriate answer. 10 pts each.
Section: Multiple Choice
1. The normal microflora of the heart includes species of ________
2. Which of the following is least likely to cause Septicemia leading to endotoxin-induced shock?
3. Reddened streaks extending up a limb to the trunk would indicate the presence of ________
4. Rheumatic fever caused by Streptococcus pyogenes most likely results from ________
5. What causes puerperal fever?
6. Characteristics of endocarditis include
7. Most causes of myocarditis and or pericarditis are caused by:
8. Which of the following statements is true of concerning the cardiovascular system?
9. Which of these best identify Blood chemistry?
10. Chlamydia species have been associated with_